Creating your very own homemade musical instrument does not require any special technical skills.
As you will see, even the most mundane objects can be turned into musical devices. All it needs is interest and creativity.
Required Materials to Make a Homemade Drum
The following are the tools and materials required to make a homemade drum:
- coffee can
- can opener
- metal radiator hose clamp
- 2 unsharpened pencils/chopsticks
- fabric, yarns
Instructions to Make a Drum
- The first step to make your drum would be to slice and remove the lid of the coffee can. You can use the can opener if necessary.
- Next, immerse the goatskin in room-temperature water. Keep it there until it gets a little flexible and elastic but do not make it thick.
- Put the skin over the can. Stretch it so the entire can is covered.
- Flatten the goatskin. When it is flat, add the metal clamp. If necessary, have your friend hold the skin down while you install the clamp.
- Before using this homemade musical instrument, allow the skin to dry through the night. Use a stick or your hands to pound the can. You can change the sound by removing the skin and immersing it in water. Then, all you need to do is to repeat the process.
- When satisfied, cut off the excess skin. You can decorate the drum using colorful paints. Be as fancy as you want and explore your creativity with enthusiasm. Give it several hours to dry. You can put fabric around your drum to make it more appealing.
- For the sticks, you could use two unsharpened pencils. You could also use chopsticks for the same purpose. You could decorate your drumsticks using colorful yarns.
Homemade Musical Bow
Materials Required to Make a Musical Bow
- springy stick
Instructions to Make a Musical Bow
- Slice a coconut in half, using a knife. Take out the fleshy insides of the coconut.
- Take the springy stick and make dents on both of its ends. Make sure that these notches you make, go all the way round. Also, ensure that the notches are about half a centimeter deep.
- Next, nail the coconut to the stick. Using nails, fix it anywhere you want on the stick. Irrespective of where you nail it, it is bound to catch the vibrations and amplify it, when you play the instrument.
- It is time to use our old guitar strings. Fasten the string to one end of the springy stick and pulling it tightly, take it to the other end. Secure it tightly here and create a bow.
- Get hold of a coin and a thin dowel. Use them to play your homemade musical instrument!
- Put the coconut shell at different levels on the string. This will help to alter the sounds. You can also use glue to link the coconut with the stick. A driller will also work.
Marcaras are native instruments also known as rumba shakers. They are used in Puerto Rico, Columbia, and Cuba to name a few places. It is very easy to make these at home. Let us first look at the materials we require to make a simple mascara.
Materials Required to Make Mascara
- used an empty plastic bottle
- dried beans or small pebbles
- masking tape
- colors, paints
Instructions to Make Homemade Mascara
- The first step to make our homemade mascara would be to wrap the entire empty bottle with masking tape.
- Next, use your imagination to give character to your mascara!
- Color it paint it or add anything fancy to make your mascara look colorful and vibrant.
- Now, add popcorn, dried beans, or small pebbles to the bottle.
- Secure the lid of the bottle tightly and shake away to your own music!
Here are some more tips for you to create your very own set of musical instruments at home.
- Pots and pans also make for great homemade musical instruments.
- Get pots and pans of varying sizes.
- Set them on a carpet or rug to reduce the sound.
- Put the big pans at the back and the smaller ones in front.
- Hang some of the pots vertically to simulate cymbals.
- Hit the biggest pans with a wooden stick to create the bass.
- Using metal utensils will produce sharper sounds.
- For softer and smoother sound effects, use chopsticks or skewers.
- You could use an empty oatmeal container instead of the coffee can to make your drum.
- You will need to experiment with different setups to get the sound you want.
Keep in mind, the following warnings when you use your musical instruments.
- Playing too long and too loud might hurt your eardrums.
- You should also keep the noise level down so as not to irritate neighbors.
When these homemade musical instruments are ready, gather everyone around and start playing.
It will probably take some practice, but you will eventually get the beat and rhythm just the way you want it.